May 3rd, 2012
This Week’s News and Reports:
- World Malaria Day: why the need for overseas aid? An article marking the World Malaria Day last week. The disease remain one of the major causes of death in the world affecting around 216 million people in the world, especially in Africa
- UN-Habitat inaugurates new homes for Pakistan flood victims UN-Habitat inaugurates thousands of new houses for the victims of floods in Pakistan. Around 18 million people were left homeless after the 2010 and 2011 floods.
- Solve water problems or forget growth, India told Reuters
- New learning tool to engage children in disaster preparedness New Report addressed to the children of the developing world on how to prepare and reduce risks when disasters affect their communities.
- Learning From the Urban Transitional Shelter Response in Haiti A Handbook presenting the Catholic Relief Service’s experience in planning and implementing urban transitional shelter response in Haiti. The document aims to help bring better responses to urban disasters in the future
- Sustainable architecture embraces rammed earth and rock formations The Guardian
- EU-China Partnership on sustainable urbanisation Today takes place the event of the EU-China Partnership on Sustainable Urbanisation. The meeting is intended to encourage China and Europe to build better cities in the future