January 11th, 2013
- Haitians Still struggling 3 years after earthquake
- Helping refugees by respecting and assisting their hosts in Burkina Faso
- Pakistan Bombings: Blasts In Quetta And Mingora Kill More Than 100
- India’s rape problem is also a police problem
- A surprising map of the best and worst countries to be born into today
- Damascus Snowball Truce Brings Fleeting Joy To War-Torn Country
December 20th, 2012
Towards an Institute of Human Rights in Haiti ? The countries of South America and the Minustah reflect together with the Haitian authorities on how to introduce a “culture of Human Rights”.
Kenya orders all refugees back to camps.
Mali: Humanitarian impact of armed intervention. Over 700,000 people could be displaced if military intervention goes ahead next year in northern part of the country.
Burkina Faso: Consolidated Appeal 2013. More than 2.8 million people were affected by the 2012 Sahel food and nutrition crisis.
As Climate Disasters soar, environmentalists take on role of relief agencies.
November 30th, 2012
- World Aids Day: Saturday December 1st.
- Kenya: Aids-free Africa can be realised. An estimated 34.2 million people around the world are infected with the virus that causes AIDS.
- Nigeria: Launch of the Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project in Oyo and Taraba States.
- Darfour dream team heads out on a visit to refugee schools in Chad.
- Africities Dakar 2012: “Building Africa from its Territories: What challenges for the local governments?”.
November 23rd, 2012
- Haiti has seen a surge in suspected cholera cases since Hurricane Sandy, according to the United Nations International Organization for Migration.
- Why Haiti sees hope in a ‘toilet bowl’?
- Return to school for hundreds of Malian refugees.
- Lebanon opposes Syrian refugee camps as crisis grows.
- Sri Lanka Army converts former IDP camp into an orchard.
- Child trafficking victims freed in Burkina Faso
November 16th, 2012
- The Guardian: Since 2006, Article 25, the only UK construction charity for post-disaster locations has completed 50 projects… to name a few.
- Cholera in Haiti on the rise, hurricane Sandy to blame?
- New dangers threaten Kenya’s Kakuma refugee camp.
- Ghana, Togo, and Burkina Faso renew commitment to fight trans-border crimes.
- Syria conflict: David Cameron to hold security talks.
- Foreign aid budget spent on Question Time for Bangladesh.
- South America: 2 mild earthquakes jolt Peru’s Lima.
November 9th, 2012
- Britain will stop granting aid to India in response to its former colony’s ‘rapid growth and development progress’ over the past decade.
- Rwanda: Andrew Mitchell is being questioned after giving £8m to a state with rebel links.
- Somalia: A pioneering programme for education in refugee camps.
- Fighting rages at Damascus Palestinian camp, 20 killed.
- David Cameron meets Syrian refugees as UK begins rebel talks.
- Water and Sanitation: Access to clean water will reduce disease.
- US: Hurricane Sandy Sustainable Redevelopment plan unveiled.
November 2nd, 2012
- UN publishes atlas of Health and Climate.
- Is Sandy a ‘Cassandra’? How cities should prepare for future Natural Disasters.
- Iraq: First Disaster Risk Reduction law drafted.
- A pioneering program for education in refugee camps.
- Sudan rebels recruit children from South Sudan refugee camp.
- Jordan: The forgotten refugees of Gaza.
- Africa ‘unprepared to manage disasters’.
- L’Aquila, Italy: Much is to be learned from the tragedy.
- 10X10: Boom and Leisure on Drawing The City London exhibition and auction.
October 26th, 2012
- Disaster Relief: Research team teaching robots to respond in disaster emergencies.
- West Africa: Sahel crisis – lessons to be learnt.
- Chile and Peru to test coordinated response to possible massive natural disaster.
- Sandy strikes Cuba as ‘strong’ hurricane.
- Sustainability should be at the heart of our collective artistic vision.
- First Asian film on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Nigeria: Flood Relief Fund or National Cake?
October 11th, 2012
- Global Hunger Index: Twenty countries have “alarming” or “extremely alarming” levels of hunger with Burundi the worst affected, followed by Eritrea and Haiti.
- Domus is hosting a launch event for charity Article 25’s 10×10 London Drawing The City.
- Disaster Reconstruction at the 2012 Venice Architecture Biennale.
- Disaster relief and long-term health care support in Haiti: What a simple student initiative can do?
- Philippines: Architecture for learning.
- Mexico: Sustainability initiatives showcased at green solutions 2012 summit.
October 5th, 2012
- 12th October: Celebration of the International Day For Disaster Reduction- this year’s theme “Women and Girls, the [in]Visible Force of Resilience”.
- Japan: Question arises over use of postdisaster reconstruction funds.
- First Monday of October every year designed to be World Habitat Day.
- Pakistan: Monsoon floods 371 people killed and nearly 4.5 million affected.
- Disaster Risk Reduction: Earthquake strikes south-west Colombia.
- Burkina Faso: Back to school for child refugees in Damba and Mentao camps .