November 2nd, 2012
- UN publishes atlas of Health and Climate.
- Is Sandy a ‘Cassandra’? How cities should prepare for future Natural Disasters.
- Iraq: First Disaster Risk Reduction law drafted.
- A pioneering program for education in refugee camps.
- Sudan rebels recruit children from South Sudan refugee camp.
- Jordan: The forgotten refugees of Gaza.
- Africa ‘unprepared to manage disasters’.
- L’Aquila, Italy: Much is to be learned from the tragedy.
- 10X10: Boom and Leisure on Drawing The City London exhibition and auction.
October 26th, 2012
- Disaster Relief: Research team teaching robots to respond in disaster emergencies.
- West Africa: Sahel crisis – lessons to be learnt.
- Chile and Peru to test coordinated response to possible massive natural disaster.
- Sandy strikes Cuba as ‘strong’ hurricane.
- Sustainability should be at the heart of our collective artistic vision.
- First Asian film on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Nigeria: Flood Relief Fund or National Cake?
October 11th, 2012
- Global Hunger Index: Twenty countries have “alarming” or “extremely alarming” levels of hunger with Burundi the worst affected, followed by Eritrea and Haiti.
- Domus is hosting a launch event for charity Article 25’s 10×10 London Drawing The City.
- Disaster Reconstruction at the 2012 Venice Architecture Biennale.
- Disaster relief and long-term health care support in Haiti: What a simple student initiative can do?
- Philippines: Architecture for learning.
- Mexico: Sustainability initiatives showcased at green solutions 2012 summit.
October 5th, 2012
- 12th October: Celebration of the International Day For Disaster Reduction- this year’s theme “Women and Girls, the [in]Visible Force of Resilience”.
- Japan: Question arises over use of postdisaster reconstruction funds.
- First Monday of October every year designed to be World Habitat Day.
- Pakistan: Monsoon floods 371 people killed and nearly 4.5 million affected.
- Disaster Risk Reduction: Earthquake strikes south-west Colombia.
- Burkina Faso: Back to school for child refugees in Damba and Mentao camps .
September 28th, 2012
- Built Environment: Designing for opportunity to improve women’s rights?
- IDP Camps: U.N. welcomes closure of controversial Sri Lankan “war” displacement camp.
- Assam Region: Nearly 2 million displaced after India floods.
- Development Aid: Its opponents and proponents.
- Disaster Risk Reduction in Bangladesh: Natural calamities big threat to development.
- Syria: UN: 700,000 Syrian refugees expected to flee war-torn country by end of year.
September 20th, 2012
- Africa: Liberia: Essence of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Underscored.
- Refugee Camps: Jolie hears ‘horrific’ accounts of Syrian refugees in Syria.
- Article 25: Olympic Stadium to become shelter for the developing world.
- Africa: Rwandan officials ‘aiding and abetting war crimes in Congo’.
- International Development: What does the reshuffle mean for developing countries?
- Disaster Preparedness: The Plan for Schools.
September 7th, 2012
This week’s news
- Africa: 16 African nations gather for Africa’s largest pandemic response planning conference.
- Nepalese Refugee Camps: Gardens help refugees connect to new land.
- Chad: Water scarce for 10 days in Eastern Chad Irikessouni camp.
- Disaster Preparedness: Malaysia calls for more effective system to manage regional disasters.
- Sixth session of World Urban Forum kicks off in Naples.
- Pakistan: Disaster Contingency Planning Process at the federal, provincial and district level has been found to be flawed.
August 31st, 2012
This Week’s News
- RIBA President: Angela Brady celebrates the contribution of architects and engineers to the Olympics.
- Phillipines: Eight people died due to tropical cyclone “Igme”.
- Disaster Risk Reduction: Floods in Philippines prompt climate action.
- Extreme weather conditions are becoming the norm.
- Refugee Camps: The plight of Congolese refugees.
- Turkey: UN launches new project to reduce disaster risks in Western Balkans.
August 24th, 2012
This Week’s News
- 10×10 Participant Zaha Hadid named as one of CNN’s “Leading Women” and a role model for female architects
- Latin America is the most urbanized region of the world, said the UN
- Dubai government gets it’s first “green” building
- Disaster Relief: US allows quake relief funds for Iran
- Google equals green? Sustainable business and architecture from the search engine giant
- Article 25: Olympic Stadium Wrap to be recycled into shelter for the Developing World
August 17th, 2012
This Week’s News
- 10×10 Drawing the City London website goes live, visit now to hear all the latest on our flagship event!
- Charity Commission encourages supporting existing charities, rather than starting new ones for disaster relief, as it unveils new guide to disaster appeals
- Olympics legacies: What next for Stratford?
- Rwandan refugees have been repatriated, some from as long ago as the 1994 genocide
- Australia makes a U-turn on refugee detention centers, stating they are the best plan
- Sudanese refugees face “humanitarian disaster”